Loralei Premo '07
Communications and SPC Administrator, Drinking Source Water Protection Division of the Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority (Ontario)
"Most natural science classes at LSSU offer students as much hands-on experience (lab hours) as lecture hours, which ensures that the university experience prepares us for the real world careers, whether you work at a desk or out in the field, or both. There are endless advantages and opportunities available to LSSU students due to its location on an international border.
I found my career path on campus when my advisor posted a job for the Bi-national Public Advisory Council (BPAC), a group dedicated to and overseeing the clean-up the St. Mary's River. I was able to gain experience and network on both sides of the border, ultimately finding full-time employment before I graduated with my biology degree."
Donald and Catherine Finlayson Award Recipients
Awarded in 2014
- Retired LSSU Geology professor.
- Instrumental in organizing fund raising efforts for Kemp Mineral Resources Museum
- Actively involved in hosting open houses for the Kemp museum
- Strong advocate for the Kemp Mineral Resources Museum
Awarded in 2013
- Generous supporters of LSSU through Laker Club, Cooper Scholarship, and fund drive for a new gym floor
- Created an endowed scholarship to assist full-time students of all majors
- Contributed to the Arts Center, the Aquatic Research Lab, and the South Hall Renovation Project
- David formerly served on the LSSU Foundation’s Board of Directors
Awarded in 2012
Precision Edge Surgical Products
- Generous donor to LSSU’s engineering program and to LSSU in general
- Funds an annual scholarship for Chippewa County students attending LSSU
- Funded an endowment for LSSU’s engineering program
- Donated thousands of dollars worth of equipment to the engineering program
- Donated a building in Dafter to LSSU
- Employs many LSSU grads: engineers, accounting and other majors
Awarded in 2011
- Owner of JR Automation in Grand Rapids
- JR Automation recruits on LSSU’s campus every year and employs a number of LSSU grads
- Very generous donor to LSSU’s engineering program
- His donations have helped dozens of incoming freshmen get started in engineering, and hundreds of middle and high school students attend LSSU’s summer engineering programs
Awarded in 2010
Peter & Georgia Gianakura
- Retired owners of the American Cafe
- Endowed a scholarship at LSSU
- Support local programs, including the Bayliss Public Library, the Chippewa County Historical Society & Lake Superior State Univeristy.
- Support Lake State Elders, an educational group of senior citizens who meet monthly and sponsor speakers, tours and a variety of learning experiences.
- Founding members of the Superior Legacy Society
Awarded in 2009
Chuck Cliff ‘77
- Attended LSSC in mid-1970s, studied business
- Founded and runs an engineering company
- Company does business all over US and into Mexico
- Staunch supporter of Laker hockey
Awarded in 2008
Dr. Shane Woolever
- Founded Greater Peninsula Orthopedics, 2001
- Accomplished orthopedic surgeon
- Director of Adult Joint Reconstruction and Chairman of the Operating Room Operations Committee at War Memorial Hospital, 2001-03
- Title sponsor of Lake State Golf Classic
- Extremely generous supporter of Laker Athletics, both financially and in spirit
Awarded in 2007
Roberts P. and Ella B. Hudson Foundation
- Established Hudson, Coates and Kline Scholarship at LSSU, 1989
- Major benefactor of the following LSSU programs:
- Arts Center
- Cooper Gym Floor Campaign
- Cisler Center expansion and renovation
- Health Care Center
- LSSU Foundation’s Development Fund
- Establishment of scholarship endowment for LSSU students who are graduates of a Chippewa County high school.
Awarded in 2006
William and Sharon Bollin
- Established a scholarship at Lake Superior State University in honor of daughter Leah Marie, to benefit those afflicted with epilepsy or other seizure disorders
- Organized various fundraising efforts which brought in more than $120,000 for the Leah Marie Bollin Memorial Award
- Member, LSSU Foundation Board of Directors (Bill)
- Member, Zeta Tau Alumni Control Board, Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity (Bill)
- Honorary member, Alpha Kappa Chi Sorority (Sharon)
- Continue to volunteer time and treasure to advance Lake Superior State University
Awarded in 2005
Demosthenes (Denny) Booth
- Established the Sault High/Loretto Memorial Scholarship Fund in honor of his father’s request 50 years earlier.
- The fund has more than $150,000 with donations from more than 300 people. It has helped nearly 50 Sault High students earn a degree at LSSU.
- Served in Korea as a second lieutenant in the Infantry.
- Twice retired – First, as regional budget manager for Montgomery Ward. His second retirement came years later in California, where he was general manager of two cemeteries and three funeral homes.
Awarded in 2004
- Supervisor of Instrumentation, Continental Teves
- Active LSSU advocate, volunteer and benefactor
- Member, LSSU Industrial Advisory Board
- Arranges for and supervises Senior Projects for LSSU Engineering students
- Continental Teves, through Bob’s leadership, has hired many LSSU alumni
- Awards received from Continental: Achievement Award - 2002, Special payment award – 2004
- Has hosted alumni gathering of engineers, etc. in corridor
- Named honorary LSSU engineering alumnus at February 2003 engineering banquet
- Granted official honorary LSSU alumnus status in 2003
- Major donor to LSSU
Awarded in 2003
- A staunch and generous LSSU advocate
- Chaired the LSSU Foundation Board of Directors on three different occasions, serving more than twenty years as a volunteer
- District 37 State Senator (1994-2002),
- As Senator, helped secure funding for Crawford Hall of Science, Shouldice Library and the Fine and Performing Arts Center projects
- Comptroller of the Mackinac Bridge Authority, 1966-1982
- Executive Secretary of the Bridge Authority, 1982-1993
- Korean War veteran, U.S.A.F.
Awarded in 2002
Awarded in 2001
Tom Robinson, DDS
Awarded in 2000
Awarded in 1999
Donald Finlayson, M.D.