Superior Legacy – Celebrating 75 Years
Established in 1946 to address the needs of returning World War II veterans and to provide educational opportunities to the people of the Eastern Upper Peninsula, Lake Superior State University still embodies the essence of the early days. A personal education in a safe and friendly environment remains a hallmark of today’s LSSU.
The campus served as Ft. Brady starting in 1894 after the fort was relocated from the banks of the St. Mary’s. The fort was deactivated in 1944 and, thanks to the efforts of local volunteers and leadership at Michigan College of Mining & Technology in Houghton, opened in the fall of 1946 as the Sault Ste. Marie Residence Center of MCMT. The Sault Branch was rechristened Lake Superior State College of Michigan Technical University in 1966. Autonomy arrived for LSSC in 1970. University status was granted in 1987 to the state’s smallest public institution of higher learning.